Jump to Main Content
- Fraiture, Charlotte de; Cai, Ximing; Rosegrant, Mark; Molden, David; Amarasinghe, Upali
- Irrigation and drainage 2003 v.52 no.1 pp. 21-30
- environment; food production; food research; foods; international policy and programs; irrigated farming; livelihood; water; water policy; water supply; water use
- ... Are the available water resources sufficient to produce food for the growing world population while at the same time meet increasing municipal, industrial and environmental requirements? Projections for the year 2025, presented by different research groups at the second World Water Forum in The Hague, show an increase in global agricultural water use ranging from 4 to 17%. Estimates for the growth ...
- Hamdy, A.; Ragab, R.; Scarascia-Mugnozza, Elisa
- Irrigation and drainage 2003 v.52 no.1 pp. 3-20
- agricultural industry; arid zones; environment; food security; foods; households; imports; infrastructure; irrigation management; poverty; productivity; semiarid zones; sustainable development; water; water allocation; water conservation; water supply; water use; water use efficiency
- ... The increasing scarcity of water in dry areas is now a well-recognized problem. According to the World Commission on Environment and Development, approximately 80 countries with 40% of the world population already suffer from serious water shortages. At present, water shortages have led most of arid and semi-arid countries to increase food imports because the local agricultural sector is not able ...