Jump to Main Content
- Rinehart, Joseph P.; Yocum, George D.; Kemp, William P.; Greenlee, Kendra J.
- Journal of Economic Entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1081
- Megachile rotundata; cold storage; crops; growing season; insect development; overwintering; pollinators; prices; shelf life; spring; survival rate; temperature; uncertainty
- ... The alfalfa leafcutting bee Megachile rotundata (F.) is the primary pollinator for alfalfa seed production. Under standard management conditions, the alfalfa leafcutting bee develops to the diapausing prepupal stage under field conditions, after which they are cold-stored at a static temperature until the following spring, when temperatures are raised and development resumes. We have assessed the ...
- Asiimwe, Peter; Naranjo, Steven E.; Ellsworth, Peter C.
- Journal of Economic Entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1260
- Bemisia tabaci; Gossypium; Hemiptera; cotton; eggs; host plants; imagos; irrigation management; natural enemies; nymphs; ova; pesticide application; phytophagous insects; plant-insect relations; population density; population dynamics; predator-prey relationships; seasonal variation; soil water
- ... The abundance and distribution of insect herbivores is determined by, among other things, plant quality and natural enemies. These two factors vary temporally and spatially, subsequently affecting seasonal population dynamics. The relative influence of plant quality and natural enemies on the seasonal dynamics of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) was investigated in a three-year field study in cotton. Pl ...