Jump to Main Content
- Anderson, Martha C.; Hain, Christopher; Otkin, Jason; Zhan, Xiwu; Mo, Kingtse; Svoboda, Mark; Wardlow, Brian; Pimstein, Agustin
- Journal of Hydrometeorology 2013 v.14 no.4 pp. 1035
- algorithms; atmospheric precipitation; cold season; drought; energy balance; evapotranspiration; heat; latitude; models; remote sensing; runoff; vegetation; water stress; United States
- ... Comparison of multiple hydrologic indicators, derived from independent data sources and modeling approaches, may improve confidence in signals of emerging drought, particularly during periods of rapid onset. This paper compares the evaporative stress index (ESI)-a diagnostic fast-response indicator describing evapotranspiration (ET) deficits derived within a thermal remote sensing energy balance f ...
- Otkin, Jason A.; Anderson, Martha C.; Hain, Christopher; Mladenova, Iliana E.; Basara, Jeffrey B.; Svoboda, Mark
- Journal of Hydrometeorology 2013 v.14 no.4 pp. 1057
- air temperature; cloud cover; dewpoint; drought; drying; early warning systems; evapotranspiration; heat; image analysis; infrared radiation; meteorological data; remote sensing; soil water; soil water content; time series analysis; vegetation; wind speed; United States
- ... Reliable indicators of rapid drought onset can help to improve the effectiveness of drought early warning systems. In this study, the evaporative stress index (ESI), which uses remotely sensed thermal infrared imagery to estimate evapotranspiration (ET), is compared to drought classifications in the U.S. Drought Monitor (USDM) and standard precipitation-based drought indicators for several cases o ...