Jump to Main Content
- Ragasa, Catherine; Thornsbury, Suzanne; Joshi, Satish
- Journal of agricultural economics 2011 v.62 no.3 pp. 669-689
- HACCP; certification; developing countries; exports; food contamination; food law; food production; models; production costs; profits and margins; quality control; safety standards; seafoods
- ... Food safety regulations aimed at controlling food contamination have sometimes been criticised as excessive burdens, disadvantaging smaller firms and exports from developing nations. Reported food safety expenditures appear relatively small (from <1 to 7% of the value of production) but can erode profit margins for many firms. This article responds to claims that reported firm-level expenditures d ...
- Raimondi, Valentina; Olper, Alessandro
- Journal of agricultural economics 2011 v.62 no.3 pp. 525-550
- developed countries; developing countries; elasticities; exports; food industry; foods; income; market share; markets; models; tariffs; trade liberalization; uncertainty
- ... We present an econometric investigation of the trade effect produced by the elimination of tariffs in 18 food sectors for a large sample of developing and developed countries. The standard CES monopolistic competition trade model and the gravity equation were used to estimate trade substitution elasticities, exploring their sensitivity to different estimation methods. Using these elasticities, we ...