Jump to Main Content
- Subramanian, Arjunan; Qaim, Matin
- Journal of agricultural economics 2011 v.62 no.3 pp. 690-709
- developing countries; markets; prices; India
- ... The role of traders and traditional exchange institutions has received little attention in empirical research on rural markets in developing countries. We use detailed data on transactions in a village commodity market in India and identify two observed anomalies: first, the repeal of the law of one price, and second, a trader-idiosyncratic effect, namely that large volumes are sold to a trader wh ...
- Raimondi, Valentina; Olper, Alessandro
- Journal of agricultural economics 2011 v.62 no.3 pp. 525-550
- developed countries; developing countries; elasticities; exports; food industry; foods; income; market share; markets; models; tariffs; trade liberalization; uncertainty
- ... We present an econometric investigation of the trade effect produced by the elimination of tariffs in 18 food sectors for a large sample of developing and developed countries. The standard CES monopolistic competition trade model and the gravity equation were used to estimate trade substitution elasticities, exploring their sensitivity to different estimation methods. Using these elasticities, we ...