Jump to Main Content
- Halvorson, J. J.; Kronberg, S. L.; Hagerman, A. E.
- Journal of animal science 2017 v.95 no.8 pp. 3654-3665
- 0021-8812; 1525-3163
- Lespedeza cuneata; Medicago sativa; alfalfa; calcium; carbon; copper; excretion; feces; forage; insoluble fiber; iron; magnesium; manganese; mineralization; nitrogen content; nutrients; phosphorus; proanthocyanidins; sheep; sheep manure; sodium; sulfur; tannins; zinc
- ... The effects of condensed tannins on N dynamics in ruminants have been a topic of research for some time, but much less work has focused on their impacts on other nutrients in manure. A 4 × 4 Latin square trial was used to determine if intake of sericea lespedeza (Lespedeza cuneata; SL; a condensed tannin source), at 0, 10, 20, or 40% of the diet (as-fed basis), would affect concentrations of nutri ...
- Hales, Kristin E.; Wells, James E.; Berry, Elaine D.; Kalchayanand, Norasak; Bono, James L.; Kim, Min-Seok
- Journal of animal science 2017 v.95 no.8 pp. 3738-3744
- Escherichia coli O157; bacterial shedding; beef cattle; diet; feces; finishing; growth performance; heifers; models; monensin; steers
- ... Two experiments were conducted to study the effects of monensin dose on growth performance and Escherichia coli O157:H7 shedding in finishing beef cattle. In Exp. 1, 198 heifers (298 ± 1.1 kg BW) were allocated to 1 of 2 treatments consisting of 1) 200 mg/heifer daily of monensin and 2) 400 mg/ heifer daily of monensin and fed for 151 d. In Exp. 2, 199 steers (430 ± 1.9 kg BW) were stratified by B ...