Jump to Main Content
- Hales, K. E.; Shackelford, S. S.; Wells, J. E.; King, D. A.; Pyatt, N. A.; Freetly, H. C.; Wheeler, T. L.
- Journal of animal science 2016 v.94 no.5 pp. 2097-2102
- USDA; beef cattle; beta-adrenergic agonists; carcass weight; cattle feeding; dietary protein; dressing percentage; dry matter intake; feed additives; feed conversion; feedlots; finishing; industry; liveweight gain; marbling; steers
- ... Ractopamine hydrochloride (RAC) is used in the feedlot industry to increase daily gain, improve feed efficiency, and increase HCW. However, little work has been done to determine whether addition- al protein is needed in the diet to maximize the benefit of RAC in beef cattle. Objectives of our experiment were to determine if feeding additional CP in conjunction with RAC would improve animal perfor ...
- Ahlberg, C. M.; Kuehn, L. A.; Thallman, R. M.; Kachman, S. D.; Snelling, W. M.; Spangler, M. L.
- Journal of animal science 2016 v.94 no.5 pp. 1857-1864
- Angus; Brangus; Charolais; Gelbvieh; Hereford; Limousin (cattle breed); Red Angus; Simmental; animal models; beef cattle; birth weight; breed differences; calves; calving; females; germplasm evaluation; heritability; maternal effect; normal distribution
- ... Birth weight (BWT) and calving difficulty (CD) were recorded on 4,579 first-parity females from the Germplasm Evaluation Program at the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center (USMARC). Both traits were analyzed using a bivariate animal model with direct and maternal effects. Calving difficulty was transformed from the USMARC scores to corresponding Z-scores from the standard normal distribution based on ...