Jump to Main Content
- Kojima, C.J.; Carroll, J.A.; Matteri, R.L.; Touchette, K.J.; Allee, G.L.
- Journal of animal science 2007 v.85 no.9 pp. 2133
- piglet feeding, etc ; swine; feed intake; weaning; weaning weight; weanlings; animal growth; gene expression; gene expression regulation; appetite; hypothalamus; adipose tissue; feed supplements; blood plasma; neuropeptide Y; messenger RNA; leptin; receptors; pro-opiomelanocortin; body weight; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... A depression in feed intake and growth often occurs in the weaned pig. Spray-dried plasma is often added to nursery diets in an attempt to stimulate feed intake during this lag. The current study evaluated gene expression of appetite regulators in hypothalamus and adipose tissue 4 d after weaning. Barrows (2 wk of age) were cross-fostered to a sow (SOW, n = 8) or weaned and fed a nursery diet cont ...
- Peng, J.J.; Somes, S.A.; Rozeboom, D.W.
- Journal of animal science 2007 v.85 no.3 pp. 853-860
- piglets, etc ; sows; lactation; sow feeding; drinking water; animal performance; ad libitum feeding; pig feeders; water content; feeding preferences; parity (reproduction); genotype; feed intake; liveweight gain; body weight; backfat; thickness; estrus; weaning weight; drinking; costs and returns; profitability; appetite; Show all 23 Subjects
- ... An experiment was conducted to determine the effects of ad libitum access to feed and water and the option to mix feed and water, all in the same feeder, on the performance of multiparous lactating sows. Feed and water were made available to sows using a self-fed wet/dry (SFWD) or a hand-fed (HF) feed-water system. In the SFWD system, feed and water were dropped into a common trough area of the fe ...