Jump to Main Content
- Krehbiel, C.R.; Ferrell, C.L.
- Journal of animal science 1999 v.77 no.5 pp. 1295
- heifers; rumen fermentation; nitrogen; abomasum; casein; nutrient transport; feed intake; digestibility; nutrient availability; crude protein; urea; ammonium nitrogen; animal organs
- ... Seven Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) III heifers (410 +/- 25 kg) fitted with hepatic portal, mesenteric venous, carotid catheters, and an abomasal cannula were used in a 7 x 5 incomplete Latin square design experiment. The objective was to evaluate the effects of increasing levels of ruminally degradable N (RDN) with or without the addition of abomasally infused casein on portal-drained viscer ...
- Barb, C.R.
- Journal of animal science 1999 v.77 no.5 pp. 1249
- animal proteins; molecular weight; brain; adipocytes; secretion; feed intake; endocrine system; body weight; energy expenditure; sexual reproduction; somatotropin; pituitary gland; luteinizing hormone
- ... The recently discovered protein leptin has a molecular mass of 16 kDa, consists of 146 amino acids, and is synthesized and secreted by adipose tissue. Leptin affects feed intake, the neuroendocrine-axis, and immunological processes. The protein was first identified as the gene product that is deficient in the obese ob/ob mouse. Leptin serves as a circulating signal of nutritional status and plays ...