Jump to Main Content
- Bernal Rubio, Y. L.; Gualdrón Duarte, J. L.; Bates, R. O.; Ernst, C. W.; Nonneman, D.; Rohere, G. A.; King, D. A.; Shackelford, S. D.; Wheeler, T. L.; Cantet, R. J. C.; Steibel, J. P.
- Journal of animal science 2015 v.93 no.12 pp. 5607-5617
- animal breeding; calpastatin; cooking quality; data collection; ferritin; genes; genome-wide association study; glycogen (starch) synthase; intramuscular fat; long-chain-fatty-acid-CoA ligase; meat processing plants; meat quality; meta-analysis; mitochondria; muscles; pH; polypeptides; pork; protein subunits; single nucleotide polymorphism; swine; variance
- ... Pork quality plays an important role in the meat processing industry. Thus, different methodologies have been implemented to elucidate the genetic architecture of traits affecting meat quality. One of the most common and widely used approaches is to perform genome-wide association (GWA) studies. However, a limitation of many GWA in animal breeding is the limited power due to small sample sizes in ...
- Boyd, B. M.; Shackelford, S. D.; Hales, K. E.; Brown-Brandl, T. M.; Bremer, M. L.; Spangler, M. L.; Wheeler, T. L.; King, D. A.; Erickson, G. E.
- Journal of animal science 2015 v.93 no.12 pp. 5801-5811
- animal pens; animal performance; animal welfare; beta-adrenergic agonists; body temperature; carcass quality; cattle housing; covariance; finishing; heat stress; model validation; nutritional intervention; respiratory rate; rumen; shade; slaughterhouses; steers
- ... Steers (n = 480) were used to study the effects of shade and feeding zilpaterol hydrochloride (ZH) on performance, carcass quality, heat stress, mobility, and body temperature (BT). A randomized block design with a 2 × 2 factorial arrangement of treatments was used with 4 replicates per treatment. Factors included housing type (open or shaded pens) and the feeding of ZH (0 or 8.33 mg/kg DM) the la ...