Jump to Main Content
- Steinhoff-Wagner, J.
- Journal of applied animal welfare science 2019 v.22 no.2 pp. 171-187
- animal welfare; cutting; drying; females; hairs; head; horses; males; people; questionnaires; sports; surveys; sweat; winter; Germany
- ... Coat clipping is a common practice in sport horses; however, timing, purpose, technique, and clips vary widely, as do the management and feeding of a clipped horse. The aim of this study was to collect data regarding common clipping practices. A questionnaire was published online in Germany and contained 32 questions. Four hundred ninety-eight people answered at least one question, and 373 individ ...
- Dalmau, Antoni; Areal, Bruno; Machado, Silvana; Pallisera, Joaquim; Velarde, Antonio
- Journal of applied animal welfare science 2019 v.22 no.2 pp. 116-126
- animal welfare; females; swine; wood; environmental enrichment
- ... The objective of this study was to investigate if female growing pigs spend similar amounts of time exploring a wooden stick as they do exploring enrichment material regardless of its proximity to the feeder. Forty-eight pigs aged 18 to 26 weeks allocated to 16 pens with three pigs per pen were studied. Fifty percent of the pens had a wooden stick beside the feeder, and the rest had a similar stic ...