Jump to Main Content
- Mischke, Charles C.; Li, Menghe H.; Oberle, Daniel F.
- Journal of applied aquaculture 2011 v.23 no.3 pp. 271
- fish production, etc ; Ictalurus punctatus; catfish; fingerlings; fish culture; fish feeding; food availability; growing season; insects; lamps; stocking rate; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... The purpose of this study was to determine the feasibility of growing marketable channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, from pond-run fingerlings (15.9 g/fish) using low stocking densities (7,413 or 14,826 fish/ha) and electrified bug lights to enhance natural forage available to fish. Even at low stocking densities, fish only averaged 0.2 kg at the end of the growing season. Because marketable siz ...
- Robinson, Edwin H.; Menghe, Li H.
- Journal of applied aquaculture 2009 v.21 pp. 1
- fish production, etc ; Ictalurus punctatus; mortality; body composition; protein content; liveweight gain; feed conversion; feed intake; fish ponds; experimental diets; plant source protein; protein sources; animal source protein; animal feeding; catfish; animal proteins; crop production; dietary protein; fillets; fingerlings; fish culture; fish feeding; fish feeds; fish meal; fish nets; growing season; lipids; menhaden; ponds; satiety; stocking rate; visceral fat; weight gain; Show all 33 Subjects
- ... Animal protein, generally fish meal, has traditionally been used in the diet of channel catfish. However, our previous research indicates that animal protein is not needed for growing stockersize catfish to food fish when the fish are stocked at densities typical of those used in commercial catfish culture. Whether this holds when fish are stocked at high densities is not known; thus, we conducted ...