Jump to Main Content
- de Groot, Beatrijs; Thissen, Laurens; Özbal, Rana; Gerritsen, Fokke
- Journal of archaeological science: Reports 2017 v.16 pp. 542-552
- archaeology; boiling; calcite; case studies; ceramics; clay; cooking; thermal properties; Marmara Sea; Turkey (country)
- ... This article investigates the process of Neolithisation of the eastern Marmara region of north-west Anatolia by discussing the results of a pilot study to define the development of the clay preparation methods of the first ceramics at Barcın Höyük. We used petrographic analysis on a sample of sherds (n=34) from Neolithic levels (c. 6600–6200cal. BC) at the site, and compared our findings with the ...
- Steele, V.J.; Stern, B.
- Journal of archaeological science: Reports 2017 v.16 pp. 641-657
- Pinaceae; archaeology; beeswax; bitumen; castor oil; ceramics; chemistry; coasts; fabrics; kilns; mineralogy; raw materials; trade; Cyprus; Egypt; Syria; Turkey (country)
- ... Transport and storage vessels in Red Lustrous Wheelmade ware (RLWm ware) were traded across a large area of the eastern Mediterranean for approximately 300years (c. 1500–1200BCE) during the Late Bronze Age (c.1600–1000BCE). The extreme consistency of the ceramic, in form, fabric, chemistry and mineralogy, points to a single production source for the ware, which, although no kiln sites have been id ...