Jump to Main Content
- de Groot, Beatrijs; Thissen, Laurens; Özbal, Rana; Gerritsen, Fokke
- Journal of archaeological science: Reports 2017 v.16 pp. 542-552
- archaeology; boiling; calcite; case studies; ceramics; clay; cooking; thermal properties; Marmara Sea; Turkey (country)
- ... This article investigates the process of Neolithisation of the eastern Marmara region of north-west Anatolia by discussing the results of a pilot study to define the development of the clay preparation methods of the first ceramics at Barcın Höyük. We used petrographic analysis on a sample of sherds (n=34) from Neolithic levels (c. 6600–6200cal. BC) at the site, and compared our findings with the ...
- Turco, F.; Davit, P.; Cossio, R.; Agostino, A.; Operti, L.
- Journal of archaeological science: Reports 2017 v.12 pp. 54-65
- X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy; archaeology; calcium; calibration; ceramics; clay; energy-dispersive X-ray analysis; glass; image analysis; iron; minerals; pellets; porosity; potassium; scanning electron microscopy; temperature
- ... SEM-EDS and XRF analyses of pellets produced with powdery clay and ceramic standards and fired at increasing temperatures showed a systematic overestimation of the abundance of heavier detected elements (K, Ca, Ti and Fe) using the conventional procedure of calibration with massive mineral/glass certified materials followed by normalization of the detected values. Errors were particularly noticeab ...