Jump to Main Content
- Prufer, Keith M.; Thompson, Amy E.; Kennett, Douglas J.
- Journal of archaeological science 2015 v.57 pp. 1-13
- Belize, etc ; archaeology; hills; landscapes; lidar; satellites; surveys; tropics; vegetation; Show all 9 Subjects
- ... In the tropics of Central America one important use of airborne LiDAR has been the detection of architecture and landscape modifications in ancient city–states, including dispersed residential compounds. For Maya archaeologists, this endeavor has been traditionally referred to as settlement survey. We examine a 99 km² area surrounding the ancient (ca. 100 BCE–CE 850) Maya city of Uxbenká using bot ...
- Ting, Carmen; Martinόn-Torres, Marcos; Graham, Elizabeth; Helmke, Christophe
- Journal of archaeological science 2015 v.62 pp. 15-26
- Belize, etc ; archaeology; calcite; ceramics; energy-dispersive X-ray analysis; lowlands; politics; raw materials; scanning electron microscopy; traditions; volcanic ash; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... This paper examines the production and exchange of a particular type of ceramic vase designated ‘Ahk'utu' moulded-carved’, by using thin-section petrography, INAA, and SEM-EDS. These vases were produced and circulated in the eastern Maya lowlands during a transitional period known as ‘Terminal Classic’, ca. A.D. 800–950. Significant changes, generally referred to as the Classic Maya Collapse, occu ...