Jump to Main Content
- Carmona-Crocco, Julieta; Rolhauser, Andrés G.; Pucheta, Eduardo
- Journal of arid environments 2020 v.179 pp. 104178
- Amaranthus; Bulnesia retama; Gomphrena; Larrea divaricata; Tribulus terrestris; annuals; germination; seeds; shrubs; stress tolerance; summer; Argentina
- ... Functional traits have been linked to relevant vital rates across co-occurring species, such as growth and survival. However, the relationship between plant traits and germination has been much less studied, despite that germination can be a key transition for plants. Building on evolutionary theory, we propose that variation in germination fraction across co-occurring desert annual plants may res ...
- Foxx, Alicia J.; Kramer, Andrea T.
- Journal of arid environments 2020 v.179 pp. 104189
- Bromus tectorum; Elymus elymoides; annuals; arid lands; dry environmental conditions; edaphic factors; grasses; greenhouses; invasive species; land restoration; root tips; seedlings; Western United States
- ... Roots are the first line for interactions between plants and the soil environment. Understanding root traits has important implications for species used in arid land restoration. Intraspecific root trait variation can have important competitive and performance ramifications that can impact the ability of a population to establish. So, we tested whether populations exhibit variation in number of ro ...