Jump to Main Content
- Svejcar, Lauren N.; Bestelmeyer, Brandon T.; James, Darren K.; Peters, Debra P.C.
- Journal of arid environments 2019 v.166 pp. 11-16
- perennials, etc ; Bouteloua eriopoda; Prosopis glandulosa; dry environmental conditions; ecosystem services; ecosystems; ecotones; grasses; grasslands; herbivores; land restoration; rodents; shrubs; small mammals; Chihuahuan Desert; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... In many arid ecosystems, shrub encroachment is coupled to the loss of perennial grasses and associated ecosystem services. Increased native herbivore abundance associated with shrub encroachment can have negative effects on grass restoration. In the Chihuahuan Desert, native herbivore abundance can be two times greater in shrubland states dominated by Prosopis glandulosa (honey mesquite) than in h ...
- Hernández, Eliza; Questad, Erin J.; Meyer, Wallace M.; Suding, Katharine N.
- Journal of arid environments 2019 v.162 pp. 35-44
- perennials, etc ; Bromus hordeaceus; Nassella pulchra; annuals; biomass production; dry environmental conditions; fire regime; fuel loading; fuels; grasses; grasslands; indigenous species; introduced plants; invasive species; nitrogen; water content; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Fuel loads from invasive annual grasses different from natives can alter the fire regime to one that positively feedbacks to their establishment, known as the grass-fire cycle. Nitrogen (N) deposition can exacerbate the grass-fire cycle by favoring non-native annual grasses and increase their biomass production, generating greater fuel loads. Less studied is how N enrichment can affect the chemica ...