Jump to Main Content
- Merino-Martín, Luis; Courtauld, Clare; Commander, Lucy; Turner, Shane; Lewandrowski, Wolfgang; Stevens, Jason
- Journal of arid environments 2017 v.147 pp. 25-33
- buried seeds; dry environmental conditions; ecological restoration; germination; laboratory experimentation; rain; seedling emergence; seedlings; semiarid zones; soil; sowing; water stress
- ... Ecological restoration presents many challenges, particularly in semi-arid environments, where large volumes of seeds are required. Here, we hypothesized that two key seed functional traits, namely seed mass and speed of germination, would affect overall germination and emergence: heavier-seeded and faster-germinating species would display greater germination and emergence under water stress. We a ...
- Rodríguez Araujo, María Emilia; Pérez, Daniel Roberto; Bonvissuto, Griselda Luz
- Journal of arid environments 2017 v.147 pp. 159-162
- Prosopis; dry environmental conditions; exposure duration; germination; indigenous species; phytogeography; seedlings; shrubs; Argentina
- ... The Patagonian species of the genus Prosopis exhibit distinctive features such as their shrub growth pattern. However, morphological or physiological differences among them have been poorly studied (e.g., germination). Considering this lack of information, we studied five Prosopis species from two different phytogeographic provinces: Monte and Patagonia. Particularly, we focused on the southern ar ...