Jump to Main Content
- Campbell, James H.; Zak, John C.; Jeter, Randall M.; Strauss, Richard E.
- Journal of arid environments 2013 v.99 pp. 41-50
- analysis of variance; bacteria; carbon; correspondence analysis; desert soils; environmental factors; habitats; microbial biomass; national parks; nitrates; soil organic matter; vegetation types; Chihuahuan Desert; Texas
- ... Oligotrophic bacteria have been isolated from many habitats, yet environmental regulation of their distributions in soil has not been elucidated. To address the issue of environmental influence upon oligotrophic distributions, Chihuahuan Desert soils were sampled from five sites along an elevational and vegetational gradient within Big Bend National Park during January and August of 2002 and 2003. ...
- Morrison, Ryan R.; Stone, Mark C.; Sada, Donald W.
- Journal of arid environments 2013 v.99 pp. 5-13
- anthropogenic activities; aquatic environment; biodiversity; field experimentation; habitats; humans; models; national parks; temperature profiles; water temperature; California; Death Valley
- ... Desert springs are biodiversity hotspots that are easily altered by anthropogenic activities. Little is known about the effects of human disturbance on desert springs, and scarce information exists describing the environmental effects of incrementally increasing disturbance. The objective of this research was to quantify the influence of incremental reductions in discharge on the physical and ther ...