Jump to Main Content
- Van de Ven, Tanja M.F.N.; Tambling, Craig J.; Kerley, Graham I.H.
- Journal of arid environments 2013 v.99 pp. 23-27
- Acinonyx jubatus; Canis; biomass; dead animals; diet; food availability; habitats; jackals; phenology; predation; predators; seasonal variation; ungulates; South Africa
- ... The ability of small canids to consume a variety of resources in an opportunistic manner has been cited as a reason for their wide distribution across many habitats. Black-backed jackals Canis mesomelas have varied diets that reflect changes in food availability as a result of seasonal fluctuations in resources. Seasonal fluctuations can include variations in food type availability, as well as var ...
- Yamaguchi, Nobuyuki; Al-Hajri, Afra; Al-Jabiri, Hayat
- Journal of arid environments 2013 v.99 pp. 1-4
- Erinaceidae; breeding; courtship; mating season; parents; reproductive behavior; seasonal variation; spring; winter; young animals; Qatar
- ... There is little information pertaining to the breeding behaviour and reproductive biology of free-ranging hedgehog populations outside of Europe. We monitored the seasonal changes in courtship behaviour and the presence of new young animals from a free-ranging Ethiopian hedgehog population in Qatar between 2010 and 2012. Based on frequencies of courtship behaviour and deduced frequencies of succes ...