Jump to Main Content
- Mielnick, P.; Dugas, W.A.; Mitchell, K.; Havstad, K.
- Journal of arid environments 2005 v.60 no.3 pp. 423
- deserts; arid zones; grasslands; Bouteloua eriopoda; C4 plants; carbon dioxide; gas exchange; evapotranspiration; precipitation; temporal variation; New Mexico
- ... We measured CO₂ and evapotranspiration (ET) fluxes above a Chihuahuan desert grassland from 1996 through 2001. Averaged across six years, this ecosystem was a source (positive flux) of CO₂ in every month. Over that period, sustained periods of carbon uptake (negative flux) were rare. Averaged across all months, we estimated that CO₂ was being released into the atmosphere at a rate of +1.5 g CO₂ m⁻ ...
- Northup, B.K.; Dias, C.D.; Brown, J.R.; Skelly, W.C.
- Journal of arid environments 2005 v.60 no.3 pp. 509
- Eucalyptus; woodlands; tropics; degradation; herbaceous plants; vegetation cover; spatial distribution; grazing intensity; drought; rain; grasses; ecological succession; Queensland
- ... This study described changes in spatial distribution of herbaceous cover in experimental paddocks in a eucalypt woodland of northern Australia after 5 years of different grazing pressures and drought. Herbaceous cover was irregularly distributed, with high cover zones in distinct bands across slopes on paddocks in stable and degrading condition, and irregular patches in a degraded paddock. Size an ...