Jump to Main Content
- McClaran, M.P.; McMurtry, C.R.; Archer, S.R.
- Journal of arid environments 2013 v.88 pp. 39-42
- Southwestern United States, etc ; Prosopis velutina; aboveground biomass; canopy; carbon; carbon sequestration; ecosystems; equations; forest trees; grasslands; leaves; models; nitrogen; nitrogen content; remote sensing; shrubs; woody plants; Mexico; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Regression equations were developed to estimate above ground biomass and carbon and nitrogen mass of foliage and stem size fractions from plant size dimensions (basal diameter, canopy area, height, canopy volume) for a tall shrub species (Prosopis velutina) that has increased in abundance in arid and semi-arid grasslands in the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico. Regression equatio ...
- Havstad, Kris; James, Darren
- Journal of arid environments 2010 v.74 pp. 1324
- Southwestern United States, etc ; Bouteloua eriopoda; Prosopis glandulosa; canopy; fuel loading; grasslands; grazing; invasive species; prescribed burning; range management; shrubs; weed control; woody plants; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Prescribed burning is a commonly advocated and historical practice for control of woody species encroachment into grasslands on all continents. However, desert grasslands of the southwestern United States often lack needed herbaceous fuel loads for effective prescriptions, dominant perennial graminoids may have poor fire tolerance, and some systems contain fire-tolerant invasive species. We examin ...