Jump to Main Content
- Foronda, Ana; Pueyo, Yolanda; Arroyo, Antonio I.; Saiz, Hugo; Giner, María de la Luz; Alados, Concepción L.
- Journal of arid environments 2019 v.160 pp. 82-90
- nurse plants, etc ; adults; canopy; dry environmental conditions; gypsum; observational studies; plant communities; plant establishment; seedlings; shrubs; soil properties; species diversity; Spain; Show all 13 Subjects
- ... Plants may depend on nurse plants to establish and survive on gypsum environments, which are stressful for plant life. Shrubs may act as nurse plants by ameliorating micro-environmental conditions in their local vicinity. Despite its importance, the role of nurse shrubs on the spatial patterning of plant establishment remains largely unknown in gypsum communities. Our aim was to understand the pat ...
- Madrigal-González, Jaime; Kelt, Douglas A.; Meserve, Peter L.; Squeo, Francisco A.; Gutiérrez, Julio R.
- Journal of arid environments 2016 v.126 pp. 47-53
- nurse plants, etc ; arid lands; biomass production; canopy; correspondence analysis; dry environmental conditions; ecosystems; models; national parks; plant communities; shrublands; shrubs; species diversity; Chile; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Models of plant–plant interactions suggest that nurse plants are critical for the maintenance of biodiversity and ecosystem functions in arid and semiarid lands. At the community scale, however, empirical support of this idea is limited and context-dependent. Following on a preliminary work which suggested that a dominant shrub in north-central Chile (Porlieria chilensis) had nurse plant effects, ...