Jump to Main Content
- Buis, E.; Veldkamp, A.; Boeken, B.; Breemen, N. van
- Journal of arid environments 2009 v.73 no.1 pp. 82-90
- herbaceous plants, etc ; precipitation; semiarid zones; deserts; watersheds; vegetation types; landscape position; environmental factors; vegetation cover; shrubs; topography; landscape ecology; water use; ecological function; infiltration (hydrology); water distribution; soil crusts; soil depth; Israel; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... We studied the controls on functional surface cover types in four catchments along a semi-arid to arid precipitation gradient in the northern Negev Desert of Israel. First, we selected four functional types, based on their unique water use and redistribution functionality: shrubs, Asphodelus ramosus, other herbaceous plants and surface crusts. We estimated percentage of surface covered by these fu ...
- Forbes, G.S.; Van Zee, J.W.; Smith, W.; Whitford, W.G.
- Journal of arid environments 2005 v.60 no.4 pp. 627
- herbaceous plants, etc ; deserts; grasslands; Gutierrezia sarothrae; Prosopis glandulosa; shrubs; grasses; canopy; arthropods; species diversity; life history; seasonal variation; livestock; grazing intensity; rain; New Mexico; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Arthropods living in the canopies of two woody shrub species (a sub-shrub (Gutierrezia sarothrae) and a large shrub (Prosopis glandulosa)) and perennial grasses plus associated herbaceous species, were sampled on 18, 0.5 hectare plots in a Chihuahuan Desert grassland for five consecutive years. Mesquite shrubs were removed from nine plots, six plots were grazed by yearling cattle in August and six ...