Jump to Main Content
- Turner, Rachel C.; Graham, Jennifer E.; Hahn, Shelley; Mariano, Abigail; McCarthy, Robert
- Journal of avian medicine and surgery 2019 v.33 no.2 pp. 150-154
- Cacatua; beak; birds; computed tomography; cysts (pathology); females; histopathology; keratin
- ... A 10-year-old, female umbrella cockatoo (Cacatua alba) was presented for evaluation of a mass at the right commissure of the beak, with associated right periorbital swelling. A feather cyst was suspected, based on history and the results of a computed tomography scan and fine-needle aspirate. The cyst was surgically debrided and removed. Histopathologic results confirmed an infraorbital keratin cy ...
- Welle, Kenneth R.
- Journal of avian medicine and surgery 2019 v.33 no.2 pp. 193-197
- Cacatua; Circovirus; adults; biopsy; birds; blood; diagnostic techniques; feathers; males; pain; pets; radiography; regrowth; tail
- ... Feather trauma is a common problem among pet birds, especially those with trimmed wing feathers, and often affects remiges and rectrices. Damage can become chronic if new feathers remain unprotected by fully formed adjacent feathers. The follicles can become damaged and poorly functional over time. A 6-month-old male umbrella cockatoo (Cacatua alba) was presented for examination because of feather ...