Jump to Main Content
- Yachmenev, Val; Condon, Brian; Klasson, Thomas; Lambert, Allan
- Journal of biobased materials and bioenergy 2009 v.3 no.1 pp. 25
- enzymatic hydrolysis; corn stover; sugarcane bagasse; cellulose; ultrasonic treatment; ethanol production; laboratories
- ... The cost-competitive production of bio-ethanol and other biofuels is currently impeded, mostly by the high cost and the low efficiency of enzymatic hydrolysis of feedstock biomass and especially plant celluloses. Despite substantial reduction in the cost of production of cellulolytic enzymes in recent times, the conversion of plant cellulose into sugars still remains an expensive and slow step. Ou ...
- Stevens, Eugene S.; Ashby, Richard D.; Solaiman, Daniel K.Y.
- Journal of biobased materials and bioenergy 2009 v.3 no.1 pp. 57
- gelatin; films (materials); plasticizers; byproducts; biodiesel; mechanical properties; glycerol; tensile strength; biopolymers; fats and oils industry; refining; cost analysis; thermoplastics; starch
- ... Cast gelatin films were plasticized with a biodiesel coproduct stream (BCS). Films were well formed and appeared homogeneous by visual inspection. There is no deterioration in mechanical properties when BCS replaces glycerol as plasticizer. A BCS content of 18-34% resulted in elongations of 35-182%, with corresponding tensile strengths of 45-6 MPa and elastic moduli of 1330-38 MPa. Factor analysis ...