Jump to Main Content
- Huntley, Brian; Collingham, Yvonne C.; Singarayer, Joy S.; Valdes, Paul J.; Barnard, Phoebe; Midgley, Guy F.; Altwegg, Res; Ohlemüller, Ralf
- Journal of biogeography 2016 v.43 no.5 pp. 874-886
- General Circulation Models; birds; breeding; climate; correlation; ecosystems; extinction; indigenous species; paleoclimatology; risk; species diversity; Lesotho; South Africa; Swaziland
- ... AIM: Test hypotheses that present biodiversity and endemic species richness are related to climatic stability and/or biome persistence. LOCATION: Africa south of 15° S. METHODS: Seventy eight HadCM3 general circulation model palaeoclimate experiments spanning the last 140,000 years, plus a pre‐industrial experiment, were used to calculate measures of climatic variability for 0.5° grid cells. Model ...
- Moncrieff, Glenn R.; Bond, William J.; Higgins, Steven I.
- Journal of biogeography 2016 v.43 no.5 pp. 863-873
- biogeochemical cycles; climate; convergent evolution; ecosystems; environmental factors; geographical distribution; global change; models; prediction; soil; species diversity; vegetation; vegetation structure
- ... Biomes are globally distributed, structurally and functionally similar vegetation units defined without reference to plant species composition. The boundaries between biomes are presumed to correspond with species turnover and changes in biogeochemical cycling. Determining the controls of biome distributions is thus critical for anticipating global change impacts. Historically, climate and soils h ...