Jump to Main Content
- Schaefer, Hanno, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Journal of biogeography 2010 v.37 no.5 pp. 975-978
- DNA; biogeography; extinction; herbaria; islands; natural history; Galapagos Islands
- ... The year 2010 marks the 175th anniversary of Charles Darwin's visit to the Galapagos Islands. A recent paper by J. C. Briggs, 'Darwin's biogeography' (Journal of Biogeography, 2009, 36, 1011-1017), summarizes Darwin's contributions to the field of biogeography, stressing the importance of his natural history specimens. Here, we illustrate how a plant collected by Darwin during his visit to Florean ...
- Schaefer, Hanno, et al. Show all 2 Author
- Journal of biogeography 2010 v.37 no.1 pp. 77-89
- Pericallis; allopatric speciation; climate; data collection; dry environmental conditions; ecology; flora; indigenous species; islands; paleoclimatology; phylogeny; phylogeography; Azores; Canary Islands
- ... Endemism in the flora of the Azores is high (33%) but in other respects, notably the paucity of evolutionary radiations and the widespread distribution of most endemics, the flora differs markedly from the floras of the other Macaronesian archipelagos. We evaluate hypotheses to explain the distinctive patterns observed in the Azorean endemic flora, focusing particularly on comparisons with the Can ...