Jump to Main Content
- Rodenas, Pau; Zhu, Fangqi; ter Heijne, Annemiek; Sleutels, Tom; Saakes, Michel; Buisman, Cees
- Journal of chemical technology and biotechnology 2017 v.92 no.12 pp. 2963-2968
- acetates; bacteria; bicarbonates; bioanodes; bioelectrochemistry; biofilm; carbon; cathodes; copper; hydrogen; mass transfer; mixing; oxidation; solubility
- ... BACKGROUND: Bioelectrochemical systems (BESs) are capable of recovery of metals at a cathode through oxidation of organic substrate at an anode. Recently, also hydrogen gas was used as an electron donor for recovery of copper in BESs. Oxidation of hydrogen gas produced a current density of 0.8 A m‐² and combined with Cu²⁺ reduction at the cathode, produced 0.25 W m‐². The main factor limiting curr ...
- PubMed Central:
- Cerrillo, Míriam; Viñas, Marc; Bonmatí, August
- Journal of chemical technology and biotechnology 2017 v.92 no.12 pp. 2912-2920
- Chloroflexi; Flavobacteriaceae; Methanobacteriaceae; Methanosarcinaceae; ammonia; ammonium; anaerobic digesters; anaerobic digestion; anodes; bacteria; bioelectrochemistry; biofilm; chemical oxygen demand; effluents; genes; methanogens; microbial communities; microbial fuel cells; nitrogen; pig manure; ribosomal RNA; volatile fatty acids
- ... BACKGROUND: Bioelectrochemical systems have been proposed as a possible polishing step for anaerobic digestion (AD). They can also be useful to overcome AD instability in case of AD inhibition while, at the same time recovering ammonia. Continuous assays with a microbial fuel cell (MFC) fed with digested pig slurry were performed to evaluate its operation during malfunction periods of the AD react ...