Jump to Main Content
- Groenestein, C.M.; Hutchings, N.J.; Haenel, H.D.; Amon, B.; Menzi, H.; Mikkelsen, M.H.; Misselbrook, T.H.; van Bruggen, C.; Kupper, T.; Webb, J.
- Journal of cleaner production 2019 v.211 pp. 1162-1170
- ammonia; ammonium nitrogen; animal manure management; animal proteins; beef; chicken meat; chickens; crops; diet; digestibility; eggs; emissions; emissions factor; environmental impact; food production; inventories; metabolism; milk; nitrogen; nutrient use efficiency; plant products; pork; poultry production; production technology; Austria; Denmark; Germany; Netherlands; Switzerland; United Kingdom
- ... The increasing global demand for food and the environmental effects of reactive nitrogen losses in the food production chain, increase the need for efficient use of nitrogen (N). Of N harvested in agricultural plant products, 80% is used to feed livestock. Because the largest atmospheric loss of reactive nitrogen from livestock production systems is ammonia (NH3), the focus of this paper is on N l ...
- PubMed Central:
- Dobermann, Darja; Field, Lin M.; Michaelson, Louise V.
- Journal of cleaner production 2019 v.211 pp. 303-308
- Hermetia illucens; brewing; brewing industry; chickens; cottonseed cake; crops; diet; larvae; lethal concentration 50; peanut cake; prepupae; sunflower meal; toxicity; viability; wastes; Uganda
- ... Waragi, a form of homemade gin, is produced throughout Uganda in both legal and illegal breweries. Waste produced during the illegal brewing process is predominantly disposed of via indiscriminate dumping into surrounding environments and reports from local communities have indicated this to be harmful to crops and livestock. The larvae of Hermetia illucens are documented to consume a wide range o ...
- PubMed Central: