Jump to Main Content
- Zonderland-Thomassen, M.A.; Lieffering, M.; Ledgard, S.F.
- Journal of cleaner production 2014 v.73 pp. 253-262
- marketing, etc ; European Union; animal transport; beef; beef cattle; environmental impact; eutrophication; evapotranspiration; farms; feed conversion; feed supplements; freshwater; gas emissions; irrigated farming; irrigation; leaching; life cycle assessment; livestock production; nitrates; nitrogen compounds; pastures; phosphorus; runoff; sheep; sheep meat; surveys; water footprint; water pollution; water stress; Australia; New Zealand; United Kingdom; Show all 32 Subjects
- ... There is increasing recognition of the tension between livestock production and freshwater availability. Changes in freshwater availability can be generated by both freshwater consumptive and freshwater degradative use. Agriculture is a major water user, and beef cattle and sheep farming is an important agricultural activity in New Zealand (NZ). This study assessed potential environmental impacts ...
- Schäfer, Florian; Blanke, Michael
- Journal of cleaner production 2012 v.28 pp. 113-119
- marketing, etc ; autumn; carbon; carbon footprint; case studies; consumer behavior; crop models; emissions; energy; farm size; farming systems; freight; income; irrigation; large farms; methiocarb; nitrogen; nitrogen fertilizers; nitrous oxide; plant protection; potassium; potassium fertilizers; pumpkins; washing; water footprint; Show all 25 Subjects
- ... The objective of the study was to determine the carbon footprint for four farming and marketing systems, using primary data obtained on the farms for autumn pumpkin as an example and model crop. Area for the crop cultivation and weight, i.e. kilogram of saleable product, for the marketing phase were employed as the two functional units with system boundaries from seed acquisition to pumpkin dispos ...