Jump to Main Content
- Peltekova, V.D.; Broderick, G.A.
- Journal of dairy science 1996 v.79 no.4 pp. 612
- alfalfa silage; in vitro digestibility; protein degradation; polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis; pH; Protozoa; ammonium nitrogen; equations; alfalfa; hay; extracts; alfalfa hay
- ... Net release of degraded N as NH3 and total AA plus microbial protein synthesis, quantified from incorporation of 15NH3 into microbial protein, was used to estimate the rate and extent of in vitro degradation of protein fractions isolated from alfalfa hay and silage. Seven proteins (casein, alfalfa hay, alfalfa silage, extracts from alfalfa hay and silage, and residues from alfalfa hay and silage) ...
- Norman, H.D.; Powell, R.L.; Wright, J.R.; Pearson, R.E.
- Journal of dairy science 1996 v.79 no.4 pp. 689
- dairy cows; Guernsey; Jersey; Milking Shorthorn; lactation number; profitability; phenotypic correlation; longevity; milk yield; breed differences; milk fat yield; calves; Ayrshire (cattle breed); income; body conformation
- ... Milk records from Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Jersey, and Milking Shorthorn cows that first calved between 18 and 35 mo were combined with scores for linear type traits collected before 43 mo during first lactation to study herd life and lifetime profitability. Profitability (discounted relative net income) was the value of milk, calves, and cow salvage minus fixed costs, operating costs, and ...