Jump to Main Content
- Losinger, W.C.; Wells, S.J.; Garber, L.P.; Hurd, H.S.; Thomas, L.A.
- Journal of dairy science 1995 v.78 no.11 pp. 2464
- calves; heifers; Salmonella; infection; feces; milk substitutes; feed additives; antibiotics; calving; risk; United States
- ... In a national survey of dairy operations with greater than or equal to 30 milking cows, fecal samples from 6861 preweaned dairy heifer calves on 1063 operations were tested for Salmonella. One hundred forty-five (2.1%) of the fecal samples from 79 (7.4%) of the farms tested positive for Salmonella. A multivariate logistic regression model revealed that medicated milk replacer and hay fed to dairy ...
- Wilkerson, V.A.; Casper, D.P.; Mertens, D.R.
- Journal of dairy science 1995 v.78 no.11 pp. 2402
- dairy cows; prediction; equations; lactation; dry period; dietary carbohydrate; accuracy; feed intake; methane; methane production
- ... Ruminants are one of many sources contributing to atmospheric methane. The accuracy of seven published equations for methane prediction was evaluated using a data file consisting of 16 experiments (602 observations). Methane energy emissions ranged from .89 to 7.21 Mcal/d for Holstein cows. The DMI ranged from 9.7 to 28.7 kg/d for lactating cows and 4.0 to 12.9 kg/d for nonlactating cows. Mean die ...