Jump to Main Content
- Dovciak, M.; Frelich, L.E.; Reich, P.B.
- Journal of ecology 2001 v.89 no.2 pp. 280-291
- diameter; boreal forests; tree age; seedlings; natural regeneration; seed trees; height; Pinus strobus; plant competition; stand characteristics; mortality; Minnesota
- ... 1. White pines (Pinus strobus) in a c. 1 ha near-boreal aspen-red maple stand in the western Great Lakes region, USA, were allocated to five size-classes that were tested for discordance of their spatial patterns (i.e. within-size-class spatial distribution of individuals and spatial associations among different size-classes). The size-classes were 0.5-1 m tall, 1-2 m tall, 2-4 m tall, > 4 m tall ...
- Cowling, S.A.; Sykes, M.T.; Bradshaw, R.H.W.
- Journal of ecology 2001 v.89 no.2 pp. 227-236
- boreal forests; paleobotany; simulation models; ecological succession; forest trees; climate change; woodlands; Pinus; Picea; Betula; pollen; plant competition; Tilia; Fagus; paleoclimatology; Sweden; Denmark
- ... 1. We assess the robustness of a 1500-year palaeoclimate data base and forest gap model in simulating northern Scandinavian boreal forest succession since AD 500. We also evaluate trends in species abundance in a nemoral woodland in southern Scandinavia by comparing modelling results to palaeoecological data. 2. Simulated biomass trends for Picea, Pinus and Betula growing at Penningholmen (norther ...