Jump to Main Content
- Broberg, C.L.; Borden, J.H.
- Journal of economic entomology 2005 v.98 no.6 pp. 2254-2259
- Populus maximowiczii; hybrids; clones; pest resistance; antibiosis; antixenosis; Curculionidae; boring insects; oviposition; larvae; mortality; insect development; British Columbia
- ... Damage caused by the poplar-and-willow borer, Cryptorhynchus lapathi (L.) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), is reported to vary among hybrid poplar clones. We evaluated oviposition preferences and larval success in four hybrid poplars on potted and field-planted trees. Oviposition occurred somewhat less frequently and abundantly on two clones with Populus maximowiczii Henry parentage in field-planted a ...
- Sackett, T.E.; Buddle, C.M.; Vincent, C.
- Journal of economic entomology 2005 v.98 no.5 pp. 1648-1653
- Choristoneura rosaceana; leafrollers; larvae; kaolin; particle films; dietary exposure; leaves; artificial diets; insect development; insect growth; mortality; dispersal behavior; insect control
- ... The mechanisms by which kaolin, a clay particle film formulation, affects the fitness and behavior of larvae of obliquebanded leafroller, Choristoneura rosaceana (Harris), were investigated. Feeding experiments tested kaolin as a physical barrier versus a physiological toxin for larvae that consumed kaolin applied either to apple (Malus spp.) leaves or mixed in artificial diet. Behavioral experime ...