Jump to Main Content
- Dowell, F.E.; Throne, J.E.; Baker, J.E.
- Journal of economic entomology 1998 v.91 no.4 pp. 899
- Sitophilus oryzae; Rhyzopertha dominica; Sitotroga cerealella; larvae; wheat; seeds; infrared spectroscopy; detection; storage pests; nondestructive methods
- ... Wheat kernels infested internally with larvae of 3 primary insect pests of grain, the rice weevil, Sitophilus oryzae (L.); the lesser grain borer, Rhyzopertha dominica (F.); and the Angoumois grain moth, Sitotroga cerealella (Olivier), were scanned with a near-infrared spectrometer incorporated into a single kernel characterization system to determine differences in absorption due to the presence ...
- Rodriguez-del-Bosque, L.A.; Leos-Martinez, J.; Dowd, P.F.
- Journal of economic entomology 1998 v.91 no.4 pp. 796
- Zea mays; Coleoptera; Carpophilus; Sitophilus zeamais; corn ears; crop damage; population density; seasonal variation; cultivars; Aspergillus flavus; aflatoxins; microbial contamination; Nitidulidae; Mexico
- ... Field experiments were conducted from 1993 to 1997 in northern Tamaulipas, Mexico, to identify the sap beetles and other microcoleopterans attracted to maize ears, and to evaluate their abundance in relationship to growing season (spring or fall), ear wounding (caterpillars, birds, and artificial), crop phenology, cultivar, and aflatoxin contamination. During the 5-yr study, 14 species of microcol ...