Jump to Main Content
- Guo, Jian-Ying; Wu, Gang; Wan, Fang-Hao
- Journal of economic entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1379-1385
- Bemisia tabaci; cotton; cryptic species; cultivars; fecundity; females; gossypol; insect pests; integrated pest management; life history; pest control; population growth; survival rate
- ... Use of plant secondary metabolic compounds is an important method for insect pest control. In this study, the survival, development, and reproduction of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) MEAM1 cryptic species were compared over two consecutive generations on three cotton cultivars of different gossypol levels. Both cotton cultivar and generation significantly affected the fitness ...
- Jackson, D. Michael; Harrison, Howard F.
- Journal of economic entomology 2013 v.106 no.3 pp. 1456-1462
- Agricultural Research Service; Chaetocnema confinis; Cylas formicarius elegantulus; Diabrotica; Elateridae; Phyllophaga; Systena; beetle infestations; breeding programs; cultivars; field experimentation; genotype; germplasm; insect larvae; insect pests; insect resistance; roots; soil insects; sweet potatoes; South Carolina
- ... Fifty-nine sweetpotato cultivars, including 16 heirlooms, 11 near-heirlooms (developed in the 1960s and 1970s), 19 cultivars from the 1980s, and 13 modern varieties (since 1990), were evaluated for resistance to soil insects in field experiments during 2010–2011 at the U.S. Department of Agriculture-Agriculture Research Service, U.S. Vegetable Laboratory (USDA-ARS, USVL), Charleston, SC. These exp ...