Jump to Main Content
- Narain, Ralph B.; Kamble, Shripat T.; Powers, Thomas D.; Harris, Timothy S.
- Journal of entomological science 2013 v.48 no.3 pp. 234-242
- DNA barcoding; DNA; polymerase chain reaction; cytochrome-c oxidase; nucleotide sequences; Solenopsis molesta; fire ants; Indiana; Kansas; New York; Nebraska; Louisiana; New Jersey; South Dakota; Tennessee
- ... The thief ant, Solenopsis molesta (Say). a common nuisance species found through-out the United States is genetically related to red imported fire ants, S. invicta Buren. Therefore, its identification at the molecular level is very important. The deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) barcoding, a recent technique was used to identify thief ant complex at species and subspecies levels using short DNA sequenc ...
- Peeler, Harold B.; Diffie, Stanley K.
- Journal of entomological science 2013 v.48 no.3 pp. 243-250
- Formicidae; Pseudacteon; biological control agents; fire ants; monitoring; parasitoids; surveys; Georgia
- ... Ten releases of Pseudacteon decapitating flies (Diptera: Phoridae), a classical biological control agent of imported fire ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in the southern United States, were made at 8 different sites in Georgia (USA) over a period spanning 2000-2012. Intensive monitoring and survey activities were initiated in 2008 to delineate the dispersal and occurrence of the Pseudacteon spp. in ...