Jump to Main Content
- An, Junyeong; Gao, Yaohuan; Lee, Hyung-Sool
- Journal of environmental management 2019 v.241 pp. 84-90
- acetates; anodes; bacteria; carbon; cathodes; electric potential difference; energy efficiency; hydrogen peroxide; microbial fuel cells; wastewater
- ... We developed an innovative strategy to address the inhibition of anode-respiring bacteria due to voltage reversal in serially stacked microbial fuel cells by inducing cathodic voltage reversal and H2O2 production. When platinum-coated carbon (Pt/C) cathodes were employed (stacked MFCPt/C) and the MFC was operated with acetate medium, the last unit (MFC 4) caused a voltage reversal of −0.8 V with a ...
- Lee, Joonyeob; Koo, Taewoan; Yulisa, Arma; Hwang, Seokhwan
- Journal of environmental management 2019 v.241 pp. 418-426
- Alkaliphilus; Methanoculleus; Methanosaeta; Methanosarcina; acetates; ammonia; anaerobic digestion; bacteria; butyrates; electron transfer; magnetite; metagenomics; methane production; methanogens; propionic acid; volatile fatty acids
- ... Anaerobic batch tests with a 22 full-factorial design of ammonia (1.5, 6.5 g N/L) and magnetite concentrations (0, 20 mmol/L) were conducted separately for methanogenic degradation of acetate, propionate, and butyrate (volatile fatty acids (VFAs)) to 1) quantify the effect of magnetite as an enhancer in methanogenic degradation of each of the VFAs in conditions without ammonia stress (1.5 g N/L) a ...