Jump to Main Content
- Colin, Yannick; Goberna, Marta; Verdú, Miguel; Navarro-Cano, Jose A.
- Journal of environmental management 2019 v.241 pp. 284-292
- perennials, etc ; autotrophs; bacterial communities; grasses; heavy metals; heterotrophs; land degradation; leaves; longevity; mine tailings; mining; primary succession; seedlings; shrubs; soil bacteria; soil fertility; trees; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Plant species identity is assumed to be a major driver of belowground microbial diversity and composition. However, diagnosing which plant functional traits are responsible for shaping microbial communities remains elusive. Primary succession on barren metalliferous mining substrates was selected as the framework to study above-belowground interactions, and plant functional traits that lead the su ...
- Ernst-Brock, Cody; Turner, Lee; Tausch, Robin J.; Leger, Elizabeth A.
- Journal of environmental management 2019 v.242 pp. 315-326
- perennials, etc ; Artemisia; Bromus tectorum; Pinus monophylla; annuals; biodiversity; canopy gaps; ecosystems; forbs; graminoids; grasses; habitats; invasive species; monitoring; pinyon-juniper; plant communities; seedlings; shrublands; shrubs; sowing; steppes; trees; understory; woodlands; Intermountain West region; Nevada; Show all 26 Subjects
- ... Expansion of native pinyon-juniper (Pinus monophylla-Juniperus osteosperma) woodlands can decrease shrub and herbaceous cover in the Intermountain West, U.S., affecting habitat quality and biodiversity. Removing pinyon-juniper woodlands in former sagebrush ecosystems to increase understory cover has a long management history, and short- and long-term monitoring reveal different understory plant co ...