Jump to Main Content
- Heathwaite, Louise; Sharpley, Andrew; Gburek, William
- Journal of environmental quality 2000 v.29 no.1 pp. 158
- phosphorus; nitrogen; losses from soil; watershed management; nutrient management; best management practices
- ... Since the late 1960s, point-sources of water pollution have been reduced due to their ease of identification and treatment. As water quality problems remain and further point-source measures become less cost-effective, attention is directed toward reducing agricultural nonpoint-sources of P and N. In the past, separate strategies for P and N were developed and implemented at farm or watershed scal ...
- Sharpley, Andrew; Tunney, Hubert
- Journal of environmental quality 2000 v.29 no.1 pp. 176
- phosphorus; losses from soil; pollution control; soil nutrients; water pollution; intensive farming; agricultural watersheds; eutrophication; agricultural soils; best management practices; animal manures; organic fertilizers; research
- ... The accumulation, management, and transfer of P in intensive farming systems has increased P export from agricultural watersheds and accelerated eutrophication of surface waters. Even though much research on P has been done in the last 20 years, there are still too few answers to the many questions now being asked regarding agricultural production and environmental quality. To address these concer ...