Jump to Main Content
- Wosnick, Natascha; Niella, Yuri V.; Navas, Carlos A.; Monteiro-Filho, Emygdio L.A.; Freire, Carolina A.; Hammerschlag, Neil
- Journal of experimental marine biology and ecology 2019 v.513 pp. 1-9
- Elasmobranchii; air; ambient temperature; body size; body temperature; ectothermy; energy flow; fisheries; heat; hypoxia; metabolism; multivariate analysis; sharks; solar radiation; surface temperature; temperature profiles; thermography; water temperature
- ... Body temperature is a crucial component of thermoregulation, being strongly linked to variables such as energy flow, metabolic rates, activity patterns and resilience. With exception of lamnid sharks, elasmobranchs are classified as ectothermic, depending on ambient temperature for heat modulation. Despite often being removed from the water during fisheries interactions, the known effects of air e ...
- Falahatkar, Bahram; Amlashi, Ali Safarpour; Kabir, Milad
- Journal of experimental marine biology and ecology 2019 v.513 pp. 10-12
- Huso huso; clay; fish; juveniles; turbidity
- ... A 2-factorial experiment was conducted to investigate the effect of clay turbidity on ventilation frequency (VF) in juvenile beluga sturgeon Huso huso. Ninety fish (initial mean weight 27.2 ± 0.1 g) were exposed to six levels of turbidity (0.0, 2.5, 5.0, 10.0, 20.0 and 40.0 g clay/l) for three min. Then, the fish were gently transferred to a recovery tank and monitored to record the VF for 3 min. ...