Jump to Main Content
- Ayaz, Naim Deniz; Onaran, Bahar; Cufaoglu, Gizem; Goncuoglu, Muammer; Ormanci, Fatma Seda; Erol, Irfan
- Journal of food protection 2018 v.81 no.12 pp. 2045-2053
- DNA; Listeria monocytogenes; antibiotic resistance; antibiotics; bacteriophages; beef; biological control; biological control agents; cattle; gene expression; genes; messenger RNA; models; ovine carcasses; repetitive sequences; reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction; slaughterhouses; transmission electron microscopy; wastewater; Turkey (country)
- ... Swab samples from cattle and sheep carcasses (120 of each) were tested for Listeria monocytogenes, and 120 slaughterhouse wastewater samples were tested for listeriophages over 12 months (10 samples per month) to note the seasonal distribution. L. monocytogenes and bacteriophage isolates were characterized, and the biocontrol of L. monocytogenes was investigated in meatballs with a phage cocktail. ...
- Vikram, Amit; Miller, Eric; Arthur, Terrance M.; Bosilevac, Joseph M.; Wheeler, Tommy L.; Schmidt, John W.
- Journal of food protection 2018 v.81 no.12 pp. 2007-2018
- DNA; Enterococcus; Escherichia coli; Salmonella enterica; acid tolerance; antibiotic resistance; antibiotics; bacteria; beef cattle; beef production; food service; genes; ground beef; metagenomics; methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; microbiome; phylogeny; production technology; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; United States
- ... U.S. ground beef with “raised without antibiotics” (RWA) label claims are perceived as harboring fewer bacteria with antimicrobial resistance (AMR) than are found in conventional (CONV) ground beef with no such label claim. A total of 370 ground beef samples from CONV (n = 191) and RWA (n = 179) production systems were collected over 13 months from three food service suppliers. The following bacte ...