Jump to Main Content
- Neta, E.R.D.; Miracle, R.E.; Sanders, T.H.; Drake, M.A.
- Journal of food science 2008 v.73 no.9 pp. C632
- Cheddar cheese; traditional technology; flavor; flavor compounds; sensory properties; food composition; pyrazines; spatial variation; cheese ripening; temporal variation; gas chromatography; mass spectrometry; model food systems
- ... Farmstead Cheddar cheeses with natural bandage wrappings have a distinctive flavor profile that is appealing to many consumers. An earthy/bell pepper (EBP) flavor has been previously recognized in some of these cheeses. This study characterized the alkylmethoxypyrazine compounds causing EBP flavor in Farmstead Cheddar cheeses. Eight cheeses were divided into inner, outer, rind, and wrapper section ...
- Steed, L.E.; Truong, V.-D.; Simunovic, J.; Sandeep, K.P.; Kumar, P.; Cartwright, G.D.; Swartzel, K.R.
- Journal of food science 2008 v.73 no.9 pp. E455
- sweet potatoes; pureed foods; food packaging; microwave treatment; heat treatment; aseptic packaging; temperature; dielectric properties; color; anthocyanins; polyphenols; phenolic compounds; antioxidant activity; free radicals; free radical scavengers; gel strength; functional foods
- ... Pumpable purees from purple-flesh sweetpotatoes (PFSP) were subjected to microwave heating using a 60 kW, 915 MHz continuous flow system, followed by aseptic packaging in flexible containers to obtain a shelf-stable product. Initial test runs were conducted using a 5 kW 915 MHz microwave system to measure dielectric in-line properties and examine the puree temperature profiles. The results demonst ...