Jump to Main Content
- Yen, Philip Pui‐Li; Kitts, David D.; Pratap Singh, Anubhav
- Journal of food science 2018 v.83 no.8 pp. 2039-2046
- acidification; additives; algorithms; anti-infective agents; antioxidant activity; apples; beverages; color; essential oils; fruits; heat treatment; lemon juice; lemons; microbial growth; microbial load; off flavors; pH; plant extracts; shelf life; storage time; titratable acidity; total soluble solids; watermelons
- ... Essential oil constituents (EOCs) derived from antimicrobial plant extracts can be used for organic preservation of food products. However, the characteristic flavor resulting from EOCs limit the concentration that can be used in high‐pH beverages. This work provides an innovative approach of organically preserving a high‐pH beverage (watermelon juice) with a natural blend of low‐pH fruits (apples ...
- Kotnala, Bhavya; N, Shashirekha M.; Vasu, Prasanna
- Journal of food science 2018 v.83 no.8 pp. 2062-2070
- Carica papaya; calcium; cell walls; esterification; fruits; functional properties; gel chromatography; ion exchange; mechanism of action; molecular weight; pH; papayas; pectinesterase; pectins; peptides; polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis; salts; temperature; thermal stability
- ... Pectin methylesterase (PME) is a ubiquitous cell wall enzyme, which de‐esterifies and modifies pectins for food applications. Functional properties of pectin rely on molecular weight and degree of esterification, and thus de‐esterification by PME influences the pectin functionality. The main aim of the study is to purify and biochemically characterize PME from the outer mesocarp‐exocarp tissue of ...