Jump to Main Content
- Kwon, Kiwook; Shim, Hojae; Bae, Wookeun; Oh, Juhyun; Bae, Jisu
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.313 pp. 60-67
- biodegradation; biofilm; carbon tetrachloride; chemical oxygen demand; chlorides; hydrogen peroxide; methanol; oxidation; oxygen; polyethylene glycol; soil microorganisms; temperature; toluene; trichloroethylene; water quality
- ... Simultaneous biodegradation of carbon tetrachloride (CT) and trichloroethylene (TCE) in a biobarrier with polyethylene glycol (PEG) carriers was studied. Toluene/methanol and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) were used as electron donors and an electron acceptor source, respectively, in order to develop a biologically active zone. The average removal efficiencies for TCE and toluene were over 99.3%, leavin ...
- Freidman, Benjamin L.; Gras, Sally L.; Snape, Ian; Stevens, Geoff W.; Mumford, Kathryn A.
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.313 pp. 272-282
- ammonium; biodegradation; biofilm; hydrocarbons; longevity; nitrogen; petroleum; soil nutrients; soil water; zeolites
- ... Nitrogen deficiency has been identified as the main inhibiting factor for biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons in low nutrient environments. This study examines the performance of ammonium exchanged zeolite to enhance biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons migrating in soil water within laboratory scale flow cells. Biofilm formation and biodegradation were accelerated by the exchange of cati ...