Jump to Main Content
- Norvill, Zane N.; Shilton, Andy; Guieysse, Benoit
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.313 pp. 291-309
- algae; biodegradation; biomass; dissolved oxygen; hydrolysis; pH; photolysis; ponds; prediction; sorption; wastewater treatment
- ... Whereas the fate of emerging contaminants (ECs) during ‘conventional' and ‘advanced' wastewater treatment (WWT) has been intensively studied, little research has been conducted on the algal WWT ponds commonly used in provincial areas. The long retention times and large surface areas exposed to light potentially allow more opportunities for EC removal to occur, but experimental evidence is lacking ...
- Shekoohiyan, Sakine; Moussavi, Gholamreza; Naddafi, Kazem
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.313 pp. 170-178
- Pseudomonas; bacteria; biodegradation; biomass; bioreactors; catalytic activity; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; hydrocarbons; hydrogen peroxide; peroxidase; petroleum; seawater; wastewater
- ... A bacterial peroxidase-mediated oxidizing process was developed for biodegrading total petroleum hydrocarbons (TPH) in a sequencing batch reactor (SBR). Almost complete biodegradation (>99%) of high TPH concentrations (4g/L) was attained in the bioreactor with a low amount (0.6mM) of H2O2 at a reaction time of 22h. A specific TPH biodegradation rate as high as 44.3mgTPH/gbiomass×h was obtained wit ...