Jump to Main Content
- Norvill, Zane N.; Shilton, Andy; Guieysse, Benoit
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.313 pp. 291-309
- algae; biodegradation; biomass; dissolved oxygen; hydrolysis; pH; photolysis; ponds; prediction; sorption; wastewater treatment
- ... Whereas the fate of emerging contaminants (ECs) during ‘conventional' and ‘advanced' wastewater treatment (WWT) has been intensively studied, little research has been conducted on the algal WWT ponds commonly used in provincial areas. The long retention times and large surface areas exposed to light potentially allow more opportunities for EC removal to occur, but experimental evidence is lacking ...
- Santos, Gabriela T.A.D.; Santos, Patrícia S.M.; Duarte, Armando C.
- Journal of hazardous materials 2016 v.313 pp. 201-208
- benzene; biomass; burning; combustion; hydroxyl radicals; moieties; pH; syringic acid; tracer techniques; vanillic acid
- ... Biomass combustion is a threat to the environment since it emits to the atmosphere organic compounds, which may react and originate others more aggressive. This work studied the behaviours of vanillic and syringic acids, small aromatic tracers of biomass burning, during Fenton-like oxidation in aqueous phase and absence of light. For both compounds, the extent of oxidation increased with pH decrea ...