Jump to Main Content
- Diaz-Montano, John; Trumble, John T.
- Journal of insect behavior 2013 v.26 no.3 pp. 336-351
- Bactericera cockerelli; Hemiptera; Mentha piperita nothosubsp. piperita; Triozidae; adults; clove oil; longevity; oils; residual effects; savory; tea; thyme; trees; wood
- ... The behavioral responses of the potato psyllid, Bactericera cockerelli (Sulc) to dimethyl disulfide (DMDS) and to 12 plant essential oils were examined in a glass Y-tube olfactometer. DMDS at doses of 0.5, 1, 2 and 5 g showed a significant repellent effect on the psyllids. Cedar wood, lime, savory, thyme and tea tree oils significantly repelled adults over a wide range of doses tested (1, 10, 100, ...
- da Silva, Elsa Borges; Branco, Manuela; Mendel, Zvi; Franco, José Carlos
- Journal of insect behavior 2013 v.26 no.3 pp. 304-320
- Hemiptera; Planococcus citri; Pseudococcus calceolariae; case studies; copulation; courtship; mating frequency; scale insects
- ... Mating strategies of mealybugs were investigated using two heterogeneric cosmopolitan species as case study: Planococcus citri (Risso) and Pseudococcus calceolariae (Maskell). Male mating behavior of the studied species differed in respect to mate selection, and frequency and duration of copulation. Females played an active role in mate selection, by either facilitating or resisting copulation. Th ...