Jump to Main Content
- Vedenina, Varvara Y.; Ivanova, Tatyana I.; Lazebny, Oleg Е.
- Journal of insect behavior 2013 v.26 no.3 pp. 402-415
- Drosophila virilis; courtship; females; males; vibration
- ... Courtship behavior of males was studied in four closely related Drosophila species: D. virilis, D. lummei, D. a. americana and D. littoralis. Using a video-computing approach, we compared behavior in males courting conspecific and heterospecific females. In males of all species studied, touching and licking were found to be the most prolonged courtship elements. Touching and licking were typically ...
- da Silva, Elsa Borges; Branco, Manuela; Mendel, Zvi; Franco, José Carlos
- Journal of insect behavior 2013 v.26 no.3 pp. 304-320
- Hemiptera; Planococcus citri; Pseudococcus calceolariae; case studies; copulation; courtship; mating frequency; scale insects
- ... Mating strategies of mealybugs were investigated using two heterogeneric cosmopolitan species as case study: Planococcus citri (Risso) and Pseudococcus calceolariae (Maskell). Male mating behavior of the studied species differed in respect to mate selection, and frequency and duration of copulation. Females played an active role in mate selection, by either facilitating or resisting copulation. Th ...